Saturday, June 21, 2014

Geroy Simon aims to run a club one day

Geroy Simon doesn't play football anymore, but he is still reaching for the top.
"In 10 years, I see myself as being the GM or president of an organization," Simon said Friday as the B.C. Lions announced he would be placed in their Ring of Honour on July 25, when he will also have his jersey retired. "I don't wanna sit here and say I'm gonna be a regional scout. I wanna be running the show somewhere."
Simon, the CFL's all-time leading CFL receiver, retired recently after the Saskatchewan Roughriders, with whom he won a Grey Cup last season, and Lions, with whom he played 12 seasons before being traded in 2013, opted not to re-sign him.
"Once their decision was made, I just made the decision to retire," he said. "I wanted to play, but I also didn't wanna play anywhere else but B.C. or Saskatchewan."
Simon chose to accept a front-office position with the Roughriders, welcoming an opportunity to learn all sides of the team's operations, from the gridiron to the balance sheets.
He will maintain his family home in the Cloverdale area of Surrey, B.C. He does not rule out the possibility of returning to the Lions fold one day in a coaching or management role.
"I don't hold any animosity," he said about not getting a (playing) contract from the Lions. "That takes more effort, to be mad or to hold a grudge. I move on. I'm looking forward to my next career, and I'm happy with my decision everything that's happened."
There was clearly no animosity Friday as Simon was welcomed back at a news conference like a long lost son. It was another unusual moment for Simon and the Lions and reminiscent of his January 2013 trade to Saskatchewan.
On that day, he put on a suit and attended a Lions news conference, sitting alongside general manager Wally Buono.
The Lions guru said it was "extremely important" for the Lions to be able to honour Simon, who won two Grey Cups with B.C.
"It was really a no-brainer to acknowledge Geroy for what he did on and off the field," said Buono. "It's something that we're excited to do."
It also shows that Simon, the Lions and Roughriders, who gave their blessing to the B.C. occasion, are willing to do things differently than many others -- something that should always be lauded.
"I wanna thank Geroy for making this (Ring of Honour event) happen, because it would have been difficult to deal with (he didn't make it happen)," said Buono.
The Lions GM said Simon was the best B.C. player that he ever coach and predicted he will get a shot at running a team someday.
"He was the kind of guy that responded well to the challenges," said Buono. "The thing about players is, you want them to be able to expand the expectations. When you're the No. 1 receiver year in and year out, there's a tremendous price to play, because everybody'a after you and try to get you, to make you stop, and Geroy overcame all that."
Buono said he is willing to be a mentor to Simon again, if he is willing.
"If he wants to learn from me, I'll be very happy to help him, because I'm not going to be doing this for the rest of my life, either," said Buono.
But it's evident that football will still be a big part of Simon's life for many years to come. Even though he won three Grey Cup titles as a player, he still covets winning it again in his current and future roles.
"I'm not done at all," said Simon. "I'm gonna win a few more."



No comments:

Post a Comment