Saturday, January 10, 2015

Canuck morning skates no longer mandatory

The Vancouver Canucks are doing away with a longstanding NHL tradition under new coach Willie Desjardins.
The Canucks morning skate on the day of a game is no longer mandatory. Before Saturday’s contest with the Calgary Flames, virtually all of Vancouver’s players stayed off the ice, with many playing a form of soccer in the hallway at Rogers Arena while other worked out elsewhere. Defenceman Dan Hamhuis, sidelined since Nov. 20 due to a groin tear, was an exception as he continued to work on his recovery on the ice.
Even goalies Ryan Miller and Eddie Lack stayed in drydock.
“The morning skates are optional,” said new coach Willie Desjardins. “(Saturday’s situation) is rare, because usually one of (the goalies) will the skate. But we always tell our guys: (Do) whatever you think will make you the best for the game.”
While morning skates are often at different times with NHL clubs, no squad has made them optional before every game. It will be interesting to see whether Desjardins maintains the current status for the rest of the season.
But in this era of fatigue management, Vancouver players were not complaining about the lack of a morning on-ice workout.
“I don’t like skating in the morning, so I like the option,” said winger Chris Higgins. “I’ve always been that way my whole career. I feel like I like to save my energy for the game, but some guys like to skate. I guess the coach is leaving it up to personal preference.”
Higgins, who returned to the Vancouver lineup after being sidelined from Thursday’s loss to Florida with the flu, prefers it that way.
“It’s been a debate for a long time in hockey, I guess, having the morning skate or not having it,” said Higgins. “I’d rather leave it up to the individual.”

No comments:

Post a Comment