Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Derek Dorsett eager to remain a Canuck

Derek Dorsett admits he “would be lying” if he said he wasn’t worried about being moved at the NHL trading deadline.
The Vancouver Canucks winger had reason to be concerned, because he is a pending unrestricted free agent. In such cases, teams like to get assets at the deadline – in the form of players or draft picks – in order to avoid losing established veterans for nothing in return.
A day after the deadline had passed, Dorsett was relieved that he remained a Canuck.
“Obviously, this is my first time being a UFA going into a deadline,” he said before Vancouver hosted the San Jose Sharks at Rogers Arena. “But it’s out of my control. I’ve learned, over the years. Just go with the day and, obviously, I’d be lying if (I said no.) ... But I don’t beat myself over it. If something happened, something would happen. But, obviously, it’s good to get that day over with. (Management) have shown a lot of confidence in this group, and they want to let us see what we can do, and that says a lot for this group in here.”
Dorsett was acquired in the off-season from the New Rangers for a third-round draft pick. Now, the 28-year-old Kindersley, Sask., who has also played for the Columbus Blue Jackets, hopes to remain a Canuck well beyond this summer’s July 1 free agency opening.
“Obviously, I really love it here, and my family really loves it here, too, and I like being back in Canada,” he said. “We’ll see the way things go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment