Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Zack Kassian glad to remain a Canuck

Zack Kassian has eluded the wolf for now.
The wolf was at the door as the NHL trading deadline came and went. Despite facing intense criticism and playing inconsistently for much of the season, Kassian remained a Vancouver Canuck.
“I guess I’m still here and excited to be a part of it,” Kassian said minutes before the noon Monday deadline. “It’s always a little nerve-racking, I think, for anyone. There is a lot more than just playing hockey. You have your family, your house, your condo, your cars … you have a lot of things on the go.
“I love Vancouver, love my team, love my teammates and I definitely want to be here. Obviously if the team didn’t think I fit in, or whatnot, I’d go somewhere else, but my heart is in Vancouver. We want to get into the playoffs and we want to do some damage.”
As he spoke to reporters, it was evident that Kassian was grateful for the chance to remain a Canuck. He appeared much more relaxed than he has recently when facing the media.
General manager Jim Benning admitted that he explored the possibility of trading Kassian, 24, to see whether players “of similar ilk” were available, but wound up keeping him – at least for now.
Kassian’s play has improved greatly in the past few weeks. He now finds himself on a line with Daniel and Henrik Sedin. More importantly, he’s playing with an edge and showing signs that he can produce the offence expected of him when he was acquired in the 2012 deadline-day trade that sent Cody Hodgson to Buffalo. Heading into today’s home game against San Jose, the Vancouver winger had seven goals and two assists in his previous 11 games – a much improved output from earlier in the season, when he was a healthy scratch.
But the jury – which consists of Benning, coach Willie Desjardins and president Trevor Linden – is out until Kassian shows the consistency expected from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment